Friday, November 20, 2009

Next Adventures


When I returned to the house Monday afternoon, my Tica mother greeted me with gifts, a mug that says I love Costa Rica and a keychain, telling me she was going to miss me much. I gave her a framed photo of her two daughters, Natalia and Jessica. When I had told her on Friday that I needed to take a picture of them, she asked if it was for me or my mother since I had taken a picture of her because my mother wanted to see her. I told her the photo was for me, but when I gave her the gift on Monday that I had actually needed to take the photo for her. She was very grateful. Shortly thereafter, Jessica came in saying that she needed to come to the house because the new volunteer (who had just arrived that day) was sick. Arianna asked me to come with her, and it turned out to be quite entertaining as she asked me to translate for her. The guy clearly spoke Spanish, maybe as much or more than me, but she would tell me things to tell him in English. Imagine that, me as a translator.

Spend my last evening in Silencio at the albergue with several of my friends playing cards. I passed out Hershey caramel kisses (besos) to all of them, promising to return in February. I gave Amanda her first taste of alcohol ever (yes, I corrupted a minor!) in the locally made Cacique. I thought she'd pass out from the tiniest taste I've ever seen anyone take. Leoni and Kirsten were surprisingly not grossed out by it, but then again they're German and much more accustomed to drinking.

The next morning was a somewhat tearful ending for me as I dropped Diego off at work not knowing when I'll talk to him again. He has email but isn't able to check it very often, maybe once every two weeks. Returned to the house to load up my backpack and was surprised by another good conversation with Arianna. The family seems happy that I will be returning to them in February. So certain was I that I will return that I actually left a few things there.

I spent Tuesday in Manuel Antonio National Park. Opted to not use a guide and it was a good decision. Within minutes of entering the park, there were guides with groups everywhere. I immediately was able to see a sloth with a baby and then moments later another sloth with a baby that was so new that the mother hadn't even passed the afterbirth. Saw howler monkeys, squirrel monkeys, and white-faced monkeys. The views were amazing, the beaches beautiful. Would've been better to enjoy with someone but then that's part of traveling alone. Interestingly enough, the guy who is in the room next to me here in La Fortuna was in the park the same day I was. Considering the park is several hours from where we are currently, it's quite the coincidence.

A 3-bus ride put me in San Jose Wednesday at about 9:30 where I had a chilly reception, literally. Was surprised by the weather. Another 4.5 hour bus ride put me in La Fortuna where the weather was quite similar, just add non-stop rain. Settled in at Gringo Pete's Too, which is quite possibly the quietest place I've stayed. At $6 per night, the price is right.

Yesterday I did the waterfall rappelling/canyoning trip that as at the top of my activity list. It's low season so there were only three of us on the trip, which was perfect because we didn't have to spend a lot of time standing around. That was good since it could get a little cold just waiting. We had three guides who were great, and if I could I think I'd totally steal their jobs. I think I could rappel those waterfalls every day and be quite happy.

Since then I've simply been passing the time quietly. Yesterday afternoon I heard considerable noise coming from across the river. Headed in that direction to a sportscenter where I watched some indoor soccer games. Had never seen 5 on 5 soccer before. Wanted to go to karaoke last night, but the rain refused to stop and I was simply too lazy and too cold to tramp through the rain. Instead, Danny (the guy in the room next to me who is from Spokane) and I had dinner at a local soda (I was craving rice and beans if you can believe that) and then sat and talked for a while. He sold his house in Washington and quit his job to travel for a while with no predetermined itinerary or destinations, which just goes to prove that more people could do this if they really wanted to.

Again this morning the rain stopped me from doing what I wanted, which was a hike. Decided it really wasn't worth it though. The animals aren't going to be out, and when you've seen one rainforest, you've seen them all really. I had also hoped to see the volcano while I'm here, but the owner of the hostel isn't even doing the lava flow tours because you won't see anything but cloud cover. I don't really see the need to pay to see clouds. At 3 I'm heading over to some natural springs for my first dip in hot water in over two months. Am really excited about this as well as the traditional meal again. I remember when I went to Panama back in August I refused to eat rice and beans because that's what I'd been eating for two weeks and it's what I would be eating for the foreseeable future. I didn't want to eat it if I didn't have to. Things have certainly changed. I've grown so accustomed to eating it that I actually want them. The occasional pizza or non-Costa Rican meal is nice, but I'd honestly rather sit down in a local soda among the locals and have a traditional meal than to sit down in a restaurant where there are only tourists.

And this town is full of tourists. Virtually every store, every restaurant, every kiosk offers tours and souvenirs. Clearly the only locals who live here are the ones who are work in the tourism industry. It's not a place I would want to spend any considerable length of time. In fact, I'm not even sure what I'm going to do tomorrow. I don't want to spend a lot of money on tours. And I keep thinking, hmmm, I could've spent two more days in Silencio!

Sunday I plan to transfer to Monteverde and do a canopy tour. Also hoping to catch some Sunday night and Monday night football there. You can take the girl out of the US but you can't take the US football out of the girl! I'm thinking that in a tourist town like Monteverde there will certainly be a Gringo bar where I can catch some games.

Until then, just hanging out . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment