Thursday, January 28, 2010

Back in the USA

I passed a wonderful 2+ weeks in Silencio. Spent my mornings volunteering, first in the chicken farm and then in the wildlife rescue center. Passed the afternoons napping, reading, listening to music, or watching movies. Two nights we went to Londres, a nearby town, to watch the soccer team play. The second time we were surprised to find ourselves climbing into the back of a cattle truck for the 45-50 minute ride, dodging low-hanging palm tree branches for part of the way. I couldn't help thinking, many tourists come to Costa Rica, go only to places like Manuel Antonio, and think they've seen Costa Rica, but for me you haven't seen Costa Rica until you've ridden in the back of a cattle truck with a rowdy soccer team. As if that wasn't adventurous enough, on the way back we disembarked early, crossed the river barefoot, and finished up the trip home on foot in about 20 minutes, actually much faster than it would've been in the cattle truck. Again, you haven't been to Costa Rica until you've crossed the river barefoot in the dark at 10 p.m. with only the light of a small headtorch. Good times . . .

When I first arrived back in Silencio, I knew that the trip would be brief this time. I had received word from my mother that she needed yet another heart surgery, her third. Though I was obviously disheartened to have to leave Silencio so soon after I had returned, not returning to Kentucky for this wasn't an option. My family and friends in Silencio were completely supportive and in the beginning when the news was bleak, all of them remained optimistic (in customary Tico fashion), telling me that all would be fine.

On Monday evening, a rental car at our disposal yet again, we passed time with Diego's brother and his girlfriend at Rafiki, a lodge 10 km past Silencio, very, very remote. I wanted to enjoy the final night there, and I was until we had a flat tire on the way back. The three Ticos took it completely in stride and began changing it; in typical American fashion, I worried, thinking this was a sign that bad things were going to happen. Bad luck continued the next morning in Quepos when we headed to the first place to repair the tire and they wanted $24. I think not, especially not when it isn't even my car. We finally were able to resolve things at the rental car facility and set out for San Jose to the airport for another difficult goodbye.

My flight schedule was less than ideal--a 13-hour layover in Charlotte, North Carolina. I was fortunate enough to be returning with a sleeping bag that I had planned to leave at my parents' house as I've not needed it. I definitely needed it when I bedded down in baggage claim that night. I slept surprisingly well considering the location.

For now, I'm back in Kentucky and sitting at the hospital. My mother is currently in surgery and so far all is going well. I'll be here until Sunday when I head to Connecticut for a week. I need to retrieve my belongings that are in storage. (Currently involved in a discussion about how best to do that, what vehicle will pull the trailer, whether or not it will all fit, etc., etc.) While I'm looking forward to seeing all my friends in CT, I'm definitely not looking forward to an extremely long drive there and back, especially pulling a trailer. After I return to Kentucky, I'll be here until February 20 when I head back for the third time to Silencio to live.

Not enjoying the cold weather here in the States, but passing the time with friends will make it more tolerable. Really want to see all my friends while I'm here. Check on facebook for the status update with my phone number for the next three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment