Sunday, December 27, 2009

There´s No Place Like Home

Well, it´s not exactly ¨home,¨ but it feels somewhat like that just being in Costa Rica. My morning yesterday began at 4:30 when I awoke to cram the last few things in my backpack. Yes, I made it all fit, and it weighed in at about 39 pounds at the airport. Once again I was questioned about my lack of flight leaving Costa Rica, but I assured them I would be taking a bus in March to visit a friend in Panama--only a half-lie as I will indeed go to Panama, just not to visit a friend. My first flight landed me in Panama City and was immediately greeted with a Dunkin Donuts, which I happily purchased and slurped down. My second flight landed me in San Jose where I was happy to have my yellow fever vaccine and promptly caught a taxi. Oh, and immigration once again didn´t care that I didn´t have an exit flight. I had originally inquired about the buses to Montezuma and Santa Cruz, but the taxi driver shared with me it would be faster to go to Puntarenas and catch the ferry. Alrighty then.

The bus to Puntarenas was boarding when I arrived and I snagged one of the last few seats for the 2.5 hour ride. Once in Puntarenas I inquired about the ferry and I thought I heard it was 200 meters, so I set out walking. 200 meters later I asked again and heard 2 kilometers. Yep, that warranted a taxi. I grabbed a lunch to go and hopped in line for the ferry, and that´s when I had my moment of what was I thinking because it felt like the sun was searing my skin and I hadn´t worn sunscreen. But the feeling subsided when I thought about how cold the nights were in Ecuador. The ferry was an easy 1.5 hour ride and immediately upon embarking I hopped in a bus for Montezuma.

By bus I mean school bus with a creaky back door that seemed like it might fall open at any time and brakes that had to have been worn out two years ago. It was a 1.5 hour ride and we arrived at nightfall. I had tried to ignore discussions on the bus of sold out hostels and hotels, knowing full well that there are plenty of places to stay NOT in the Lonely Planet guidebook. Nonetheless, I was one of the first out of the bus and set about finding a room. I was successful on my second try and didn´t even bother saying I wanted to look at other places first. Which leaves me with a room without a fan or A-C. A-C I didn´t expect, a fan I did, considering it doesn´t cool down much at night. I do, however, have windows, which while providing a bit of ventilation, also provide lots of noise from the steps that are adjacent to them and lead to the upstairs rooms. Oh, well. It may only be for a few days.

I spent most of the day on the beach soaking up sun, reading, and eating in a beachside restaurant for lunch, oh, and missing my beach buddies from the summer--Jen, Jessica, Julie, and Em. Just the kind of lazy day I needed after a 13-hour commute yesterday. I also booked a diving tour for tomorrow. I had slightly more money in the bank account than I thought, so I decided I should treat myself. It was also interesting because I booked with a company that actually runs a volunteer program as well. I want to find out more about volunteering to teach English because that could give me something to do if I choose to stay here for a couple of weeks. And it was interesting because the co-owner, a Tico, actually asked the other co-owner, a US girl, if I was a Tica. Apparently my Spanish had convinced him I was a local girl. I think my dark tanned skin helped lend credence to that thought.

I haven´t decided yet when I will leave here. I´ve thought maybe Tuesday. I´ve thought maybe Wednesday. Unless I volunteer in which case I could stay here til the 8th. If I choose to leave, though, I´ll probably head to Dominical for its famous beach and then maybe back to Manuel Antonio for its beach. What better way to start the new year.

But the strangest part of my day happened just a few minutes ago. As I was opening up a new Internet window to start this blog, I heard a voice speaking with a German accent that I thought I recognized. I turned to my left, and two chairs down was Leoni, a volunteer I know from Silencio. She was as shocked as I was, and we turned a few heads when we exclaimed OMG and stood up to hug. She and her friend are only here for one more day, but nonetheless, I don´t have to eat alone tonight.

Yep, there´s no place like home . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment